Get out of your comfort zone and try something new. Learn something new. Do something you’ve never done before. My life changed ever since I convinced myself to try. I could attribute all the greatest moments in my life to the fact that I went out and did it, and didn’t settle for the same old, same old.
Some people have asked to read the commencement address I delivered this morning to the 2013 graduates of Butler University. So here it is.
My own commencement speaker, who shall remain nameless, began with a lame joke about how these speeches only come in two varieties: Short and bad. This…
i made a thing
heymanticore replied to your post: TAG. YOU’RE IT. the rules are to state ten random…
Sex Ed teacher! The coolest!!
Thank you! I wanted to go into environmental science, but I only recently realized I don’t actually like environmental science. And I think sex ed is important, so, why not?
heymanticore asked: TAG. YOU'RE IT. the rules are to state ten random facts about yourself! then go to your ten favorite blogs and tell them they're it!
OH MY GOSH, THANK YOU.
1) I am currently fixing up my typography portfolio.
2) I am learning to drive. I haven’t quite got the hang of turning yet.
3) My hairdryer is purple.
4) I will be attending Trinity College in the state of Connecticut next year.
5) I take an ridiculous amount of pills per day.
6) I’m seriously considering becoming a Sex Ed teacher.
7) I love office supplies.
8) I have curly hair.
9) I’m terrible at chemistry.
10) I have two cats, named after West Wing characters.
Weeeeeeeell. There we go. Thank you, lovely.
• Accidentally close a tab? Ctrl+Shift+T reopens it.
• Bananas release dopamine, eat them when you’re sad.
• CTRL+SHIFT+ESC is the one handed version of CTRL+ALT+DEL
• Don’t brush your teeth hard, it makes them sensitive and removes enamel.
• Don’t like spiders? Put citronella oil on your walls and they will not go there.
• Drink one glass of water for every alcoholic drink you have, you’ll get drunk without getting a hangover.
• Get clear ice cubes by boiling water before freezing it
• Heal paper cuts and immediately stop the pain with chapstick.
• If you accidentally write on your dry erase board with a permanent marker, scribble over it with a dry eraser marker to remove it.
• If your shoes smell, put them in the freezer overnight, it will kill the bacteria.
• Make bug bites stop itching with a banana peel.
• Make a paper longer with 12-point text, but 14-point periods and commas.
• Need to get around a blocked website at work? Try replacing the http:// with https://
• Never send your resume as a word file (unless asked) Instead, print it to a pdf file, it’s much cleaner and professional looking.
• Pick a flavor of gum you don’t normally chew, and chew it while studying during a test.
• Place a piece of bread in a container with your homemade cookies and they will stay soft.
• Put a dry towel into a dryer with wet clothes, they will dry faster.
• Put toothpaste on a pimple and it will dry out.
• Practise fake smiling in the mirror every day before going to work/school, you’ll genuinely start to feel happier.
• Rub canola/olive oil on knives before cutting onions, you won’t cry, alternatively chew gum and you won’t either.
• Short on time with a wrinkled dress shirt? Hang it up in the bathroom to steam it flat.
• The night before, place things you don’t want to forget the next morning on top of your shoes.
• Use hydrogen peroxide to remove blood stains from clothing.
• When cleaning windows use newspapers or coffee filters instead of paper towels, they will not leave streaks.
• When microwaving bread products/pizza put a glass of water in with it, it will keep your bread for going spongy.
• When you move into a new place you’re renting, take pictures of any and all damage, then post them on facebook (privately if preferred) so you can use the reference date as proof you didn’t do it.
• When searching plane tickets online delete your cookies prior, prices go up when you visit a site multiple times. <sma
The best thing that ever happened was definitely during “The Message”. I think for some reason it wasn’t on the gag reel. It was possibly the best piece of acting I’ve ever seen, which is the three-sixty [360 degree camera rotation] that Tim [as director] did while everyone was listening to the farewell message from Tracey [played by Jonathon Woodward]. And Nathan is standing with Zoe, looking kind of stricken - this is his old friend - and the camera pans around to Kaylee - and Nathan’s sitting next to Kaylee, looking kind of stricken in another way. And he managed to duck under the camera and get to every single member of the cast and just look really sad [laughs]. And some of them just could not keep it together and some of them did. But I’ve got to tell you - it’s hard to describe. And then when it finally panned down to the body in the coffin, Nathan was lying in [Woodward’s] arms, looking stricken. It was unbelievable - not only hilarious, but technically proficient. He really put some thought into it. But that’s Nathan.
— Joss Whedon, Firefly - The Official Companion. Volume Two